Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year: 4 Things to Do All Year


The first day of 2013! It's a bit dull over here, but no reason to be down. I've made a list of the FOUR things that will help start the year off great. These are, however, valid for all the way through the year so just because you didn’t get started on any of them yet does not mean it’s too late!

1. CLEAN up your computer.

Something I have personally been meaning to do and will do. How much stuff we store that is truly slowing things down (that's a no-brainer). It is of course good to make a regular habit out of doing this more than once a year, but if you are like me you might let things pile up a bit.  I have too many photos on my desktop and files that could be sorted out better. While I was growing up my brother used to make fun of me for spending so much time organizing! However, there really are good merits in such acts because even the act of organizing your desk, your office and your room makes you feel clearer mentally and more on top of things.  

2. Get COOKING.

Yes, since moving to Europe I’ve had the opportunity to really spend some quality time in my kitchen. Something that as a small business owner and teacher I did not have the time for at all! I never cooked my own cookies from scratch, soup from my own vegetable stock, attempted to pickle my own kimchi and lots of other fun foods. I am not an expert by any means, but have learned as I go and get better each time! Cooking is a true spiritual practice that is good for your body and soul.

Here's a link to one of my cookie recipes

3. Breathe and MEDITATE.

A lot of people think just because they can't spend hours and hours on it you won't get very far. This is actually not the case. Spending even just 2 MINUTES is going to change your mood, mind and feelings! One of my teachers Swami Veda Bharati said 2 minutes is really good! So take the time when you are in car, riding the sub-way, standing in a line waiting, cleaning your house or any other mundane activity!
Find your ‘out’ breath and focus on it slowly leaving your nose. Then as you inhale let it slowly come into your awareness. Repeat the cycle feeling the genuine greatness of exhaling and how the inhalation is filled with a new moment, life and vitality. Let thoughts pass and slowly focus on making both the ‘out’ and ‘in’ slow and steady. See how much better you’ll feel at the end and it was only 2 minutes!   

4. Let Yourself DREAM. 

                                         View from a castle hill in Alsace, France. 

Open a new word document now. I'm a BIG fan of keeping a journal or a log. Write down the things you like, love and want to do! Go outside and take a look at the sky! How often we even to forget to look up especially if you don’t live near a beach, the water or in the country. The sky, however, is always there and it’s beautiful. Take a moment to let your mind enjoy the different shades of the sky. By doing so it allows the more intuitive parts of the mind to rise and inspire you.    

Happy 2013 to everyone...! Thank you for following and thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment